4 Things You Should Know Before You Apply to WUR

By: Õnne Kask · 23 January 2019
Category: Incoming students, Tips and advice

Submitting applications to universities can be stressful. I know that firsthand since I’ve been there, done that. But sometimes knowledge about the procedure can make it easier. That’s why I have put together a short list of things that are “good-to-know” about how to apply to Wageningen University. Anything from application deadlines to English requirements. Scroll down to find out more.

1. Don’t wait until the last moment to submit your application

The application deadline for our MSc programmes are May 1 for non-EU students and July 1 for EU students. However, if you have your documents ready for application, you can apply right away. Whenever you upload your full application, you will receive an answer about your application within six weeks. Isn’t it great to know if you can be accepted as early as possible? That gives you also much more time to arrange everything you need before moving to Wageningen. Also, if for any reason you are not accepted, you still have plenty of time to apply for other universities.

2. There’s no fixed number of students who are accepted to our programmes

Have you wondered how many students get accepted to WUR programmes? And how will that number affect you? In Wageningen there’s no reason to worry about that. If you meet the admissions requirements, you’re in. Easy as that!  In other words, if you have a relevant BSc degree, a GPA of 70%, and have a good command of English (proven by an English test), there’s no reason for the university to reject to you. Some of our programmes also have additional specific requirements, and of course you have to meet these as well. So, all in all, WUR doesn’t make a list of the candidates and compare them against each other. That is also why, as I mentioned in point 1, you can submit your application any time and also know the results quickly after that.

3. The best way to find out if you are eligible, is to apply

You can send the WUR staff as many emails as you wish, but they won’t be able to tell you if you can be accepted. Of course feel free to contact the study advisor and ask if your BSc is relevant. But, they still will not be able to ensure you that you can start your studies at WUR. That’s because there are many aspects to your application. Only the admissions committee, after receiving your whole package of documents, can make the decision.

4. You need to prove your English proficiency and submit the results on time

All the MSc programmes at WUR are in English. This means that you have to have a good command of the language – you have to present in English, write essays and reports and participate well in group discussions. That’s why there’s no looking past the English requirements. All you need to do is take one of the English exams and make sure you reach the required grades. Also, it is very important that you have the results in before the application deadline. WUR will not accept your results after that. It doesn’t have to be the official diploma as far as you can access the results online. So make sure you take the test well in advance and even, if possible, give yourself the time to re-take the test if you didn’t reach the required level the first time.

So, all I have left to say is that get busy with your application now! Take the English test, write your motivation letter, and get all other documents in order. Upload them, and soon enough you’ll know if you can start your studies at WUR. Interested in more tips like these? Let me know in the comments and I will write you another post soon!

Õnne Kask

Õnne Kask

I'm a Master student in Landscape Architecture & Planning, specialising in Land-Use Planning. I come from Estonia, but have lived in the Netherlands for more than five years as I also did my Bachelor in the south of the country. Since I've been an international student on the Dutch grounds for a while, I hope to give you good insights on what it's like to study at the WUR and in the Netherlands in general.

There are 20 comments.

1. By: Jack Katler · 30-01-2019 at 13:57

Nice Article
    Check our article on Five common challenges International students face while studying https://covenantsol.co.uk/2018/08/13/five-common-challenges-international-students-face-while-studying/

2. By: George Effah Sarpong · 05-02-2019 at 14:52

I already had my Bachlors and MSc with English language as the mode of instruction do I still have to write an English test before I can be admitted?

1. Õnne Kask
      By: Õnne Kask · 06-02-2019 at 08:59

Hi George!
      That depends on where you are from and where you did your education. Please read the exemptions section on this page.

Good luck with your application! Best, Onne

3. By: Donis Bernal · 05-02-2019 at 20:42

Good day,
    I’m a graduate student from the University of Panama, but my undergraduate studies were in the United States and I can prove it, is there a chance that I contact the English language tutor to assess my level of English via a Skype interview since I have not taken the TOEFL exam ?

1. Õnne Kask
      By: Õnne Kask · 06-02-2019 at 08:56

Hi Donis!
      If you have completed a bachelor in the USA, you don’t have to have any additional assessment. Just make sure you submit both your BSc and MSc diploma for the application.

Applicants who have completed their Bachelor or Master degree in one of the following countries: Australia, Ireland, Canada (except those educated at universities in Quebec), New Zealand, the United Kingdom and the United States of America are exempted from submitting an English proficiency test.

Good luck with your application! Best, Onne

4. By: Sia Ukwai · 01-03-2019 at 12:27

Are there any students from Africa?

1. Õnne Kask
      By: Õnne Kask · 01-03-2019 at 12:32

Yes, there are many students from Africa at WUR!

1. By: Ola · 09-04-2019 at 18:48

Apart from the Afp scholarships and OKp, what other funding options or grants are there at Wageningen? I have been offered admission for an MSc programme.

1. Õnne Kask
          By: Õnne Kask · 30-04-2019 at 12:39

Hi Ola,
          You can find the overview of scholarships here.
          Most full scholarship application are already closed, but the Holland Scholarship could be interesting still.
          Best, Onne

5. By: Jimena Deschamps · 19-03-2019 at 04:57

Hi,

There is a dedline to apply to a Phd?

Thanks 🙂

1. Õnne Kask
      By: Õnne Kask · 19-03-2019 at 11:49

Hi! You can find all information about PhDs here: https://www.wur.nl/en/Education-Programmes/PhD-Programme.htm

6. By: Rocío Silva · 05-04-2019 at 19:23

Hi! I am already accepted to the Food Technology master programm to start on september 2019.
    I am already applying for a scholarship but the results are not published until july/ august. If I dont get the scholarship it will be very difficult to me to go on September 2019 due to financial reasons. Is it posible to defer my admission to 2020-21.?

I am 100% sure I want to study to Wageningen however the dates depends more on financial reasons.

Thanks

1. Õnne Kask
      By: Õnne Kask · 30-04-2019 at 12:36

Hi Rocío,
      I hope it works out with the scholarship! Otherwise, you cannot defer your application, but have to uplaod your documents again for next year’s admission. But since you have all documents ready already, that should be easy 🙂
      Best, Onne

7. By: Shan · 13-05-2019 at 10:27

May I know when does the application for the next year’s Sep’s programme usually open? I plan to apply for master in food technology for Sep 2020 and it would be great to know the approximate earliest possible time to apply instead of refreshing the page everyday lol.

Thanks a lot!

1. By: Ester · 17-05-2019 at 15:11

Dear Caroline,

here you can find some information about how to apply in a master’s programme in Wageningen University & Research for next period starting September 2019. Is still not possible to enroll for September 2020 because it has to be done the 2019-2020 programme registration first.

How to apply for a master’s programme in WUR?

If you still have some questions about it, do not hesitate to email
      students@wur.nl

Kind regards,

Ester

8. By: Bidisha bora · 25-05-2019 at 04:32

Hey there.
    I am an under graduate student and i am graduating next year. I am from india and i wish to study earth and environmental science in wageningen, i just wanted to ask, being a student of Agricultural background as i am doing agri bsc, will i be accepted in earth and environmental science department, do they need specific degree.

1. By: Ester · 27-05-2019 at 21:52

Dear Bidisha,
      The master’s programme Earth and Environment in Wageningen is an Internationally oriented programme. The best to check if you are admissible to the programme is to start the enrolment process. If you do not meet the requirements you will get notified what is missing and how you can attain this.

But generally, students of universities (of applied sciences) with a bachelor’s degree in Earth Science (Geoscience), Physical Geography, Environmental Sciences, Biology (Ecology), Chemistry, Physics or Engineering are appropriate for admission to this programme.

You can find further information in the WUR webpage Master’s Earth and Environment WUR.

I hope I have been of some help. Please do not hesitate to contact students@wur.nl if you require any further assistance.

Kind regards,
      Ester

2. By: Aayush · 03-06-2019 at 18:32

Hey bidisha,
      From which university you are graduating your degree? what’s the procedure you are following for studing abroad? I have some queries regarding my further studies, will you plz contact me aayush.singla.750@gmail.com . I am doing my Bsc. hons agriculture from ccshau, hisar

9. By: Aayush · 03-06-2019 at 18:25

I am doing Bsc. hons Agriculture from CCSHAU, HISAR, INDIA. I have completed my 3 years of 4 year degree and want to proceed my further studies abroad. when should i start my procedure? after completing my degree or before completion of my degree? what about scholarship? what is the criteria for taking admission?

10. By: Julius K. Tiatun · 06-06-2019 at 20:50

I obtained Associate Degree in General Agriculture and have had work experience for over 20 years. Besides, I have attended several training workshops and seminars. Base upon this background I have decided to do Master studies in Soil and water management