My list of challenges to study in Wageningen

By: Guest Blogger · 24 November 2016
Category: Education
Written by Mariana García

I was convinced that I wanted to pursue my studies with a graduate program. After a couple of months searching for a university and a program that convinced me, I happily found the MSc Development and Rural Innovation. A list of challenges came with my desire to study in Wageningen.

Wageningen sign

I couldn’t stop to navigate in WU web site. Food, environment, agriculture, development, and livable future were some of the words that appeared frequently in the web and helped me to decide to apply for this program. I realized that WU is ranked as one of the best universities in the world. I was very motivated, but also (I must confess) I was kind of scared and nervy about it, because I really wanted to be part of that.

When you choose to have big aspirations, obviously you are choosing challenges too.

Remember that we all go through that, and somehow we did it!

MY LIST OF CHALLENGES TO OVERCOME

• APPLICATION

I found all the requirements in the WU website, I followed step by step the instructions and I upload all(most) the documents in the Student Tracking Admission Registration System (STARS).

It was not difficult, however I wanted to write the best Statement of Motivation. In this step I strongly advise to the prospective students to write it with time, no hurries! And remember, Wageningen University is not looking for perfect students, because all of us we are going to improve in WU. So please, do not pretend (as I did) to write the best letter EVER. You should write convincing statements showing why you want to study your chosen program in Wageningen and what are you going to do later with that opportunity.

As well, I suggest to do the same with your Curriculum Vitae, do it simple and always say the truth.

apply Wageningen

• PROVING MY ENGLISH LEVEL

“I upload all(most) the documents in….” Yes. ALMOST! I was in a big problem. The English test I had wasn’t accepted by the Admission Committee. Which mean that I didn´t meet the standard level requirement and wouldn’t be admitted to the program.

So I wrote them, and I was given the opportunity to do a new test and send them as soon as possible the results. I felt comforted but also pressed about it. I passed the test with the mandatory scores and I waited.

• SEEK AND FIND A SCHOLARSHIP

Since the moment I saw the study expenses I realized that I couldn’t pay them. So, from the beginning I started looking for all scholarship programs in which I could fit. My Facebook and my Google searcher were used just for that. And I was surprised by the number of scholarships and funding opportunities that you can find.

I suggest to get in touch with Nuffic that is the Netherlands organization for international cooperation in higher education. I México there is an office and they work together with the in Dutch Ministry of Education, Culture & Science and the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs (consulates and embassies).

Also, I think is very important to foresee how are you going to pay your housing, living allowance, insurance and residence permit.

Conclusion

In conclusion, my summarized tips are:

• Start early with your application in WU and in the scholarships
  • Have all the requirements and documents ready
  • Ask, ask and ask. No matter what, if you feel shame for it, think that maybe you are missing your opportunity of studying in Wageningen.

Remember that we all go through that, and somehow we did it! Stay positive, make your best and make it happen!

Guest Blogger

Guest Blogger

Wageningen University & Research invites anyone related to the university to share their thoughts on different topics in this weblog. To give you as a prospective student several opinions and experience stories of Wageningen University & Research. Hopefully this will provide you an honest and realistic picture of what it is like to study here.

There are 31 comments.

1. By: Samuel Ogah · 01-12-2016 at 11:57

Good…helpful. Preparing to apply for my PhD by next year.

2. By: Nikita · 13-02-2017 at 10:57

Hi i am from India and I have got admission for September 2017 intake. I am but afraid now because people say that it is very difficult to find a part time job for a non EU student during studies as there are lot of restrictions.

1. By: Parth Shah · 01-03-2017 at 16:01

Hi nikita,
      even i have applied for MSc Organic Agriculture program starting September 2017. what course have you applied for ? kindly contact @ pns4593@gmail.com.

2. By: pavani · 21-09-2017 at 13:48

Hi Nikitha,
      Did u join there?
      please let me know. I’m looking for Indian students there.

3. By: Aman · 28-02-2018 at 21:11

Hello Ma’am, Can i get your email ? I’m interested to join WUR Master’s programme for Feb 2020. It’d really helpful for me.

4. By: Sikha · 06-02-2019 at 14:14

Hellou..I am frm India too nd wish to take admission in msc program, plant science for September,2019..but since I have no clue regarding, can anyone please help me get through this( where to apply, scholarship and all).

1. By: Õnne Kask · 19-03-2019 at 11:50

Hi! Please email us via students@wur.nl. Then I can help you further.

3. By: fennymahara · 16-03-2017 at 15:26

Hi..
    could I see your motivation letter? or would you like to see mine or just to give your comment on it? thanks in advance 🙂

1. By: praneeth reddy · 14-11-2017 at 18:40

dear fenny,
      getting connected with you is glad for me!!
      I am planing for my masters food technology in wageningen university for fall 18 intake. am facing problem in preparing effective motivation letter so please let me have a look on your letter. send your motivation letter to praneethreddy404@gmail.com

1. By: Rabindra Ganapati V · 26-04-2018 at 10:48

Hi Praneeth Reddy,
        Are you going to pursue your Masters in Food technology this September 2018? I am Rabindra Ganapati V From India who will be pursuing Master’s in Food technology this september(2018) Willing to Connect with fellow students.

4. By: pavani · 21-09-2017 at 13:47

Hi,
    anyone from India are going for Feb2018 intake?

5. By: Sahil sethi · 17-11-2017 at 10:27

I am also thinking of joining masters in organic agriculture.
    Any indian who is there for help?

6. By: Sanju · 21-11-2017 at 10:57

Could anyone please tell me what are the job opportunities after studying masters in food technology there?

7. By: Rabindra Ganapati V · 26-04-2018 at 10:44

Hi! Anyone going for September 2018 Intake? I am from India and would be starting my Masters in Food Technology this September(2018) Willing to connect with other students.

1. By: Amulya krishna · 28-04-2019 at 07:20

Hey ! I’m amulya from India, I’ll be joining with you in September 2018 for my masters in biotechnology. Hoping to here from you.

1. By: Õnne Kask · 30-04-2019 at 12:44

Hi Amulya,
        You can email us at students@wur.nl
        Best, Onne

8. By: Sandeep c v · 26-04-2018 at 19:53

Hi,
    I’m also thinking of joining Masters in Animal Breeding and Genetics (Fish genetics) in September 2018 ,
    Please help me to write motivational letter

9. By: Gouri Vinod · 06-06-2018 at 15:48

Hi,
    I was wondering if I could find anyone who would be going to WUR for the February(2019) intake, in forest and nature conservation? Kindly let me know.
    Thanks.

1. By: Õnne Kask · 13-07-2018 at 16:35

Hi Gouri,
      You can try to reach out to other students via the Facebook group Wageningen Student Plaza.
      Greetings, Onne

10. By: Pranneshraj · 14-08-2018 at 07:37

I wish to do M.sc by entering into Wageningen by Sep’19. Please guide me the steps and things I have to do.

11. By: Augustine Tessy · 08-09-2018 at 05:21

I wish to enroll for M.sc by sep 2019 in wur. any help i can get as regards to securing admission and a scholarship will be very much appreciated.

12. By: Putri Eky P. · 15-11-2018 at 15:40

Dear Gracía, thank you for writing this. Your post does motivates me. I am a lil bit stress to preparing my study in WU right now. Reading your post gives me a huge impact to think possitive. 😊

13. By: Sangram Lokhande · 03-12-2018 at 19:42

Hi friends, I am interested in master’s in Organic agriculture for sept 2019. So please guide me for cv & motivation letter.

1. By: Õnne Kask · 04-12-2018 at 11:44

Hi! Fit your CV and motivation letter on one page each. For the motivation letter, write about why you choose for the programme and how are you planning to use the knowledge you’ll gain during your career later on.

14. By: Ria Upreti · 10-01-2019 at 07:04

Hi
    I want to apply to Wageningen University for B.Sc Soil, Atmosphere and Water..what’s the best way and the documents required?

15. By: Gossa Belete · 26-02-2019 at 14:30

I am very interested to study abroad in agricultural science, my most fear is that the English language requirements, I can’t to sit for the required tests due to financial problems, so do you any possible advises for me achieve my dream of study at Wageningen University without these required tests ?

1. By: Õnne Kask · 19-03-2019 at 11:46

Dear Gossa,
      Unfortunately you have to take one of these tests in order to be admitted to WUR. There’s no other way.
      Best,
      Onne

16. By: Ojasvi Uppal · 23-03-2019 at 14:39

Anyone from India going for Master’s food safety program in September 2019.

1. By: Õnne Kask · 05-04-2019 at 10:35

Hi! I don’t know, but you can try to reach out to potential students via FB on the page Wageningen Student Plaza.

17. By: iztirab · 26-04-2019 at 13:21

Applicant from those where both Organ knowledge and Netherland`s embassy are not there but eligible for above said scholarship. SO such applicant can apply for this scholarship?

1. By: Õnne Kask · 30-04-2019 at 12:44